"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, and you should try not to forget snacks and magazines."
Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith

Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Writer Writes

     A writer writes. Those are words I've been hearing a lot lately. A writer writes. I call myself a writer. I think of myself as a writer. But too often, all I do is think. I spend mucho time thinking about writing rather than actually writing. So this is a blog for my writing. Yes, I write a lot -- sermons, essays, articles for the newspaper and the newsletter. But I don't write enough just for me, myself, Amy. It's as if the creative spark in me that can flame into stories and poetry is slowly burning out. But maybe if I strive to put words in this digital notebook, the spark will be reignited. I hope so. At the very least, this blog and its looming empty pages will hold me accountable to do what I say I live to do. Write.  

      Whatever may come, I hope that this blog will be a sort of playground for my mind. My poetry will glide with kicking legs on the swings. My stories will cling to the merry-go-round, daring the other bits and pieces of fiction that swirl around in my brain to jump off.

     That last paragraph was a bit over the top, I know. But already the plan is working. So be prepared. Be ready for stories. Be psyched for poetry. Be expecting the unexpected. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment